A stroke is an attack on the brain caused when the blood flow is interrupted. There are two kinds of strokes: ischemic stroke and a hemorrhagic stroke. 85% of strokes are ischemic, which is when the blood supply is blocked by blood clots or plaque build-up. Which means about 15% of strokes are hemorrhagic, which is when a blood vessel bursts. Brain cells begin to die in both cases, where permanent damage could result.
Stroke is the No. 5 cause of death and a leading cause of disability in the United States. More than 800,000 people suffer from a stroke each year, which is one person every 40 seconds. Stroke does not discriminate and can happen at any age.
Who gets strokes?
Strokes can occur at any age; however, 75% of strokes attack people over 65. Females account for 60% of the deaths from stroke, and males account for the other 40% of deaths. The risk of stroke varies among race and ethnicity, with African-Americans and Hispanic-Americans being more susceptible than whites.
What are the risks of stroke?
High Blood Pressure
High Cholesterol (LDL)
What are the signs of a stroke?
Sudden onset of weakness/numbness (especially on one side)
Trouble speaking or understanding
Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
An MRI scan can be utilized to diagnose stroke. This test can detect changes in brain tissue and damage to brain cells from a stroke. MRI can often demonstrate brain abnormalities which are too small or are located in regions of the brain that cannot be seen well by CT scans.
If you have experienced a stroke in the past or are experiencing early stroke symptoms, Clovis Open MRI offers open MRI technology that allows radiologists to diagnose stroke. You can schedule your appointment online today!